2005/05/19

Rays LX Linux desktop

I bought a box of Rays LX Linux desktop at HK$300. Pretty easy to install and all the hardware devices were recognized by the OS without difficulty. The journal file system used is reisfs instead of ext3 which has been widely used in Fedora series.

All are good except the browser bundled is Mozxilla. These days, users prefer Firefox than Mozilla as the former is rich in new features. Though I have no difficulty to additionally install the Firfox package, I think Firefox should be part of the packages by default.

It is wise to have totem in Rays LX desktop. Totem could act as a browser plugin to open multimedia files such as mpg, avi, wmv and other formats. I still recall the troubles of installing mozplayer and mplayerplugin in the old days when totem was not available.

I have not tried every single utility in Rays LX. So far, my impression upon this package is good. It is worth to pay HK$300 to get the technical support from Sun Wah Pearl Limited.

No comments: