2011/11/27

D-LINK DIR-655 IPv6 home router


This week, I bought an IPv6 home router, model D-LINK DIR-655 with the latest firmware. 















This one supports Prefix Delegation, SLACC, DHCPv6, IPv6 PPPoE, 6in4, 6to4 and 6rd tunneling. I have 6in4 tunnel with Hurricane Electric (HE) and I can say that configure 6in4 tunnel on DIR-665 is not easy.  The routed /64 prefix allocated by HE should be configured in the LAN side while the /64 prefix for tunneling should be input in the WAN side.  The v6 resolver provision was a bit complicated.  I thought using v6 resolvers of OpenDNS would be ok but in fact it was not. I was not quite sure if HE network blocked access to OpenDNS.  As a last resort, I used the anycast v6 resolvers of HE in both the WAN and LAN side and that completely my 6in4 configuration with success.

I use static v6 configuration for hosts in the LAN side though I know DHCPv6 will be more convenient.  Hey, think it other way, the routed .64 prefix offered to me will never change, there is no harm to use static v6 configuration.

No comments: