2011/05/23

Facebook Internet email addresses are easy to harvest

Facebook offers me the Internet email address as “warren.kwok@facebook.com” as I have a URL of www.facebook.com/warren.kwok for other facebook users to view my profile. I am quite worried that my Facebook email address can be harvested easily and this account will receive large amount of spam emails. I have tried randomly to play with the following URLs after logging in to find if such users in facebook are valid:

www.facebook.com/peter.chan
www.facebook.com/andy.chan
www.facebook.com/david.lee

All are success. That means, I have harvested three valid email addresses @facebook.com.

Without knowing what facebook can do in anti-spam, it gives me no choice but to stop the email account @facebook.com  by setting the privacy preferences as not to receive any Internet email messages.  The return error message below verified that things work up to my expectation:

***** Quote *****
Final-Recipient: rfc822; warren.kwok@facebook.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 RCP-P2 http://postmaster.facebook.com/response_codes?ip=202.81.252.116#rcp Refused due to recipient preferences
Action: failed
Last-Attempt-Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 18:37:56 -0700
Status: 5.1.1
***** End of quote *****

1 comment:

Howard Tang said...

Good catch! I think I should do mine as well.