2011/05/08

Using email address for login to some online services

Many service providers require users to use their email addresses to login. I like to say that when authenticating a user, there is no need to care the small or capital letters in domain part of  the email address.  In fact, there is no small or capital letter differentiation in a Fully Qualified Domain Name. However, some service providers impose restriction that the small and capital letters of the domain part must exactly matches the one when the user first created the account.

As an example, I have an account with isc.org with the login user as warren@i3way.net.  If I purposely type the user as warren@I3WAY.NET, it says the account does not exist. 

Facebook has considered this aspect carefully.  Equally I have the login user as warren@i3way.net.  If I type warren@I3WAY.NET. Facebook recognizes it as the same account as warren@i3way.net and it allows me to access.

The over-restriction mentioned above is not logical and not sensible if one considers the domain name convention.  For the programmers, it just involves a few more lines of codes which could make things work better.


No comments: