2004/12/10

Fedora Core 3


Fedora Core 3 (FC3) was officially released last month. I find this package more attractive and easy to use than FC1 or FC2.

Cool ! The Chinese fonts in OpenOffice look great. The default browser is Firefox. I didn't have much pain in getting all browsers plugins working (realplayer, flash, java, pdf) except the mplayerplugin. MPlayer was not provided. I have to install MPlayer and mplayerplugin from source (tar ball) or rpm.

Hey.. I could not locate xmms, the MP3 player and Totem, the multimedia player. I should also need xine ! Can't understand why these multimedia goodies are not bundled with FC3. Wooo... Need some time to configure out how to get these stuff installed.

Evolution is the email client in Gnome desktop. I don't think I will ever use Evolution since I prefer to use Thunderbird for reading mail and RSS news.

For software updates, software update managers that can be associated with FC3 include Synaptic, apt-get,yum and connection with Red Hat Network. Hm....I am getting confused. Which one should I choose ?

No comments: